[mb-style] STYLE-473: Decide how "unofficial" remix "singles" should be entered
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
2015-08-30 18:06:06 UTC
This came up again a few days ago so I thought I'd open a discussion and
see what others think.

It's pretty common to see remixers freely releasing unauthorised remixes
(in soundcloud/bandcamp/youtube) of songs they often don't have the rights
for. It's pretty much an official release for the remixer, but not so for
the original artist. Right now, it's not clear how to add those:

Always as standalone recordings? (even though a lot of them have proper
covers)

As Other+Remix releases under the original artist? (and with what status?)

As releases in the original song's RG, when applicable? (and with what
status?)

As releases under the remixer?

Should the choice be different depending on who seems to be the most
prominent artist in the cover for the release?

Curious to see other people's opinions on these :) The original ticket is
at http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/STYLE-473 (couple comments there
already).
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
Staffan
2015-08-31 06:58:10 UTC
I'd add them ass official (they might be or not, some artists release stems to remixers) unless they are obviously illegal. Legal issues is messy enough as it is.
Always as standalone recordings? (even though a lot of them have proper covers)If they have covers I'd add them as singles.
As Other+Remix releases under the original artist? (and with what status?)
As releases in the original song's RG, when applicable? (and with what status?)
As releases under the remixer?
I'd add them under the original artist. Unless it's a mashup.